Sunday, February 3, 2013

The Fish Shack

The Fish Shack is a new addition to the Global group of restaurants in Vancouver, a place we'd been wanting to check out since they took over Sanafir's space on Granville Street downtown. Having gone to dine out at Sanafir 2 years ago, it seemed fitting that we would take this opportunity to finally check it out.

One of the nice things about dine out that you still have the option of ordering off the regular menu (some places serve strictly the dine out menu). It's also fun to look around you and see exactly what you'd be getting, and if you chat with your fellow diners, you'll even get on the spot tips and recommendations.

It was an easy decision for me to add raw oysters to my dinner tonight as it'd been awhile since I had them. They're not for every palette, but the Little Wing oysters I had were great and fresh, hitting the spot. The oyster selection changes daily, so look on your menu to see what they have in store.

Soon following were our appetizers of smelt for me, and the salmon cake for my friend. I liked the presentation of the smelt and fries in the small tin bucket, but it was a bit too heavy on the batter side, and it feels like we ate more batter than fish. 




Main course options were fish and chips, and a prawn and Manhattan chowder gumbo. Having had the smelt, I passed on the fish & chips. Eaters beware, the gumbo was definitely on the spicy side, which they don't note on the menu. A small part of me had a feeling it might be spicy before I ordered, perhaps it was the word "gumbo". Served with rice, I'm sure it would be hearty for those who like their food with a kick. As for me, I avoided as much of the sauce as possible, which was a shame, though I did end up fishing for the few prawns that were swimming in the sauce.


Dessert - no option there, cinnamon spiced beer donuts with spiced icing dip. A lackluster end to a meal that turned out mostly lackluster. Compared to the bannock bites we had at the Salmon 'N Bannock Bistro last year, this was definitely a far cry. The donuts would have been better served warm, like the mini donuts you get at the PNE or the night market. Unfortunately, they were odd shaped and cold. The icing didn't help either, as it was too thick and not sweet enough to bring out the cinnamon on the donut.



All in all, I think I'll go back again for the buck a shuck oysters and perhaps try a clam chowder, otherwise, I may pass. Overall it's a nice casual atmosphere that you have no need to get dressed up just to toss back a few oysters.

No comments:

Post a Comment