Sunday, February 3, 2013

Winding Down DOV 2013 at Water St Cafe

It seems Dine Out Vancouver started not too long ago, but that's probably due to the fact I only went to half as many restaurants this year as I did last year. No real complaints though, every pick this year was a place we'd all wanted to try at some point. Some restaurants extend their dine out menu, so something to let your tastebuds think about. Our final official DOV restaurant this year is Water St Cafe - having passed by it countless times in Gastown, walking along Water St, it was definitely time to check it out. They also had an $18 dine out lunch menu, but the selection is vastly differently, and you might want to go to the Old Spaghetti factory instead as the menu has the same basics.

Tonight's dinner sits at $28, and in addition to the menu online, was an extra option in all three courses. For the appetizer, they added their seafood and corn chowder, a pan seared veal for the entree and a flourless espresso cake in dessert. Having had my choices previously cemented, the cold weather had me ordering the chowder, the duck confit and a tiramisu to finish off.

My friend ordered the sauteed Fanny Bay oysters which was came in a delicious sauce of smoked chipotle peppers, cream, sundried tomatoes and parmesan gratinee (list of ingredients taken directly off the dine out menu). The tomatoes were fairly subtle too as the cream and parmesan drizzled over the oysters. My chowder was downright comfort food and had me wanting more. Fairly loaded with seafood and corn, this is a chowder not to be missed, not too visually appealing though which is why I've not taken a photo of it. Next to us, the bruschetta looked good as well, but there are some foods you shouldn't and really can't mess up right?

Next up, the duck confit with balsamic and pineapple chutney. It beautifully fell off the bone mostly, but the duck was on the bland side. The balsamic glaze was great but I'm still undecided about the pineapple chutney part. Loved the pineapples, but there was something about the other components of that chutney. Unfortunately, the meat came out on the cool side and we ended up asking them to reheat it. The mashed potatoes that accompanied it was actually warmer than the duck iteself. Quite odd, and it's the first time in a long time I've returned the food. Coming back, the duck was fairly hot, which really made a difference in the taste, while not as flavorful as I'd like, it was fine. The duck cooled again fairly quickly, so you do need to eat it quickly.

Tiramisu - it's been awhile. Not visually stunning, I could tell my piece was the corner piece in the pan. For those who like their dessert light, this should be fine. Me? I was hoping for more espresso and rum in the lady fingers, but it seems like that got left out of the process.




A tad disappointing, but the service was good. Bottom line, would I go back? Probably not, though I'd be open to giving lunch a shot - just not the dine out menu though.

No comments:

Post a Comment